Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Day 17 of my 30-Day Blogging Challenge for teachers from teachthought.com

Here is the link to the site with the 30-day challenge. 


Day 17:
What do you think is the most challenging issue in education today?


I wish there was a simple answer for this one, but overall I think that everything really does comes down to one simple answer: parents. 

Now, if you are a parent reading this, please continue reading before you start running to the school board, demanding for my resignation. 

There was a great post on, Homeroom, which is the official blog of the US Dept. of Education that talked about how teachers and parents need to work AS A TEAM in the education system, not against each other. I can just think back to those early days as a young teacher where I dreaded parent teacher conferences as well as those parent phone calls where I just knew every minute was going to be a battle. However, as I grew older (and hopefully wiser) I realized that I had to treat my relationship with parents like I would treat a "teammate." I need to encourage them and give them some things that we can work on together instead of playing the "blame game" all year long.  

Parents need to understand that they, "are important learning partners and teachers are so thankful" for all that they do.We all know that the education system is not perfect, but show me a system or an organization that truly is run to perfection. (No...you cannot count Google. That wouldn't be fair). However, WITH the parents AND teachers working together we can find that common ground, and continue to work towards that common cause. We need to understand that we all want to foster positive growth in our schools and prepare our students for life after they leave our grasp.




Here is some food for thought. 



No comments:

Post a Comment