Friday, October 17, 2014

Day 16 of my 30-Day Blogging Challenge for teachers from teachthought.com

Here is the link to the site with the 30-day challenge. 
http://www.teachthought.com/teaching/reflective-teaching-30-day-blogging-challenge-teachers/



Day 16:
If you could have one superpower to use in the classroom, what would it be and how would it help?
I love this question, not only because I am really a child inside and still watch superhero movies, but also because I think it would be fun to be an incognito superhero (like Clark Kent)  and teach in the classroom.
 On a hunch, I did a Google search on "teaching superpowers" just to see what I could find. 
I eventually came across an article that talks about "superpowers" that teachers already have.
I posted the article below and I am going to look at each topic and leave some comments. Enjoy!
My comments will be in Blue


Super Educational Gadgets

Batman’s known for his gadgets, just like those techie teachers who rock the projectors, interactive whiteboards and all things e-learning to live up to 21st century expectations… and beyond.

  • I think we already have this one. Everywhere you look, there are iPads, laptops and Apple TVs. I don't know what else a teacher could want in our school. Heck, even some of our furniture has outlets built into them. 

Elasti-teacher

Physics can’t explain how you’ve stretched yourself to do everything a crazy classroom requires – from differentiating instruction for every student, finishing mountains of paperwork in a single bound, keeping in touch with parents, researching new teaching tools and techniques, attending innumerable meetings and much more.Lifting heaving objects might be impressive for some superheroes, but not nearly as impressive as holding it from 8-3 after your large morning coffee (because the caffeine fix isn’t an option).


  • This one I would enjoy. I wouldn't mind the ability to stretch myself around the classroom. Our rooms tend to be small and crowded. The ability to move myself around without disrupting students and tripping in backpacks would be great. 

The Firestarter

You light the spark of learning that is the most important tool for young students. Once you light the fire, you extend those super powers to your students as they learn and grow.


  • Fire in school....I would pass on this one. 


Power of Super Patience

Thought not as glamorous as invisibility or flying, the indestructible patience you show in class is more important and more challenging than lifting an 18-wheeling over your head.

  • I am married. I think I already have this one. :-)....Just don't tell my wife I said that. 

Webs of Knowledge

Take notes, Spidey! Students can’t help but be caught up in the enticing web of knowledge you create with engaging lessons, fun projects and boundless enthusiasm.


  • What would we do without Google? My father tells me all the time that my generation, "has become so reliant on technology that we don't know how to live without it." That may be a comment that I disagree with. In fact, my generation (I am 33 by the way) went through high school without the internet or cellphones. Sure, our school had the internet, but it was on 3 computers in the corner of the computer lab and only the 3 "tech nerds" (very ironic that I am one now) were able to use them. Cell phones were VERY RARE and to be honest....so few kids had them there wasn't a point to them because there was no one to call!

The Hammer of Teacher

Keeping discipline and rogue classroom behavior in check is your super skill. Like Thor, you can’t be afraid to bring down the hammer when necessary.


  • I agree with this one to a point. I think there is a difference between setting good expectations and being a disciplinarian. I am not saying that there aren't times where you need to come down hard on kids, but I always felt that talking to a kid, showing and earning their respect went a long way as well. Now.....if someone is going to give me Thor's Hammer to bring into class, I wouldn't argue with that. 

Super Distraction Deflectors

While Wonder Woman used her magic gold bracelets to deflect attacks, you use your super wit and classroom command to deflect distractions and students trying to get you off topic.


  • We have those. Thanks YouTube and iMessage!


No comments:

Post a Comment