Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Day 12 of my 30-Day Blogging Challenge for teachers from teachthought.com

Here is the link to the site with the 30-day challenge. 

http://www.teachthought.com/teaching/reflective-teaching-30-day-blogging-challenge-teachers/

Day 12: How do you envision your teaching changing in the next 5 years? 

I always love questions like this, because I always feel like "The best laid schemes of Mice and Men oft go awry". 

To be honest, I have no idea where my job is going to take me in the next 5 years. It's not that I don't have a plan or goals, but I feel like the last few years have been a technological whirlwind  and I can't even imagine where educational technology is going to take us in the future. 

If you were to ask me 5 years ago, I would have given you several possibilities, but no real answer. And....I certainly would have never predicted that I would end up here. 

In fact, I even thought about: 

1. moving to Texas to teach because....well it's Texas.  
2. trying to coach at the college level full time and leaving education all together. 
3. getting into sales 
4.  trying to get into the communications realm (TV/Radio). 

So where does that leave me now? Well, I never thought I would ever leave the classroom, but here I am. I am the guy in his office writing on his blog during the school day, collaborating on Twitter, going to workshops etc. 

I just hope that in 5 years I can see the impact I am having on kids due to the research and curriculum development that I am doing now. The hard part about leaving the classroom is not seeing the immediate impact on kids, and understanding that my vision has become more broadened and administrative rather than immediate and departmental. Who knows...maybe 5 years from now I will be back in the classroom. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment